This course is designed to prepare participants to integrate the visual arts across elementary curriculum. The elements of art and principles of design, art methods, lesson planning, and classroom management techniques, with particular emphasis on diverse students, are examined. Participants draw, paint, make prints, and create sculptures appropriate for the elementary setting.
This graduate course is 4 weeks.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
This course is not available for enrollment to residents of Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky.
Foundations of Elementary Art Education
- Compare art programs in elementary schools.
- Defend art education in the classroom.
- Analyze the elements of art and principles of design.
- Integrate art using technology across the curriculum.
- Integrate drawing techniques across the curriculum.
- Integrate painting across the curriculum.
- Integrate sculpture across the curriculum.
- Integrate printmaking across the curriculum.
- Describe ways to integrate the arts in the classroom.
- Create questions to help students look thoughtfully at art.
- Create an integrated art lesson plan based on state and national art standards.
Building an Art-Friendly Classroom
- Define safety guidelines for elementary art.
- Support diverse students in art experiences.
- List art resources, supplies, and equipment for the classroom.
- Identify exhibition opportunities for student art.
- Create a plan for an art-friendly classroom.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
Although our continuing teacher education courses are accepted by some state agencies in the United States toward teacher certifications and endorsements, this may not be the case in all states or foreign jurisdictions. If you plan to use courses for certification or endorsement, please check with your own state agency and your school district for applicability. Continuing teacher education courses are not eligible to apply to degree programs at University of Phoenix. These courses are not eligible for federal financial aid.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with an Enrollment Representative.
If you have a question contact us at 866-354-1800.