This course examines traditions and developments in the visual and performing arts genres including music, dance, theater, cinema, visual arts, and architecture. Students will be introduced to the elements of each genre, along with an overview of its historical development in Western European tradition.
This undergraduate course is 5 weeks.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
Topics and Objectives
Experiencing the Arts
- Define the purpose of the arts.
- Differentiate between different forms of the arts.
- Describe personal experiences with the arts.
The Visual Arts
- Describe elements of composition in the visual arts.
- Describe the media and materials used in the visual arts.
- Examine the subjects and styles of the visual arts.
Music and Dance
- Describe foundational elements of the performing arts.
- Describe how the performing arts communicate ideas.
- Examine the role of artistic choice and its effect on the experience of the viewer.
Theatre and Cinema
- Examine literal and symbolic meaning in cinema.
- Evaluate the processes of artistic choice in cinema and theatre.
Reflection and Synthesis
- Formulate a defense of the arts.
- Describe how the formal elements of art affect the viewing experience.
- Identify your role in the arts in your community and in society.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. More information about eligibility requirements, policies, and procedures can be found in the catalog.Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.