This course will introduce students to Western European music from the Baroque period through the beginning of the 20th Century. The course will emphasize the history, musical development, and accomplishments of the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and early 20th Century periods in music. Students will learn to recognize form, style, texture, and characteristics of each period by studying a variety of composers and the representative masterpieces of each period.
This undergraduate course is 5 weeks.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
Elements of Music
- Describe the elements of music.
- Explain reasons for personal listening preferences based on the elements of music.
- Examine the characteristics of Baroque music.
- Identify key composers and compositions of the Baroque period.
- Analyze the role of Baroque music in a historical context.
- Examine the characteristics of Classical music.
- Identify key composers and compositions of the Classical period.
- Analyze the role of classical music in a historical context.
- Examine the characteristics of Romantic music.
- Identify key composers and compositions of the Romantic period.
- Analyze the role of Romantic music in a historical context.
Early 20th-Century Period
- Examine the characteristics of early 20th-century music.
- Identify key composers and compositions of the early 20th-century period.
- Analyze the role of early 20th-century music in a historical context.
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
- ENG/100 – Critical Reading and Composition OR
- a minimum of 3 college credits of College Composition
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-354-1800.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. More information about eligibility requirements, policies, and procedures can be found in the catalog.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.