This course presents students with the study of invertebrates. Students will examine the ecology of invertebrates along with their structures and functions.
This undergraduate course is 5 weeks.
This course has a prerequisite. Please see details in the Prerequisite section below.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy, Tuition Refund Policy and all University Policies in the Catalog for more information.
Unicellular and Primitive Multicellular Animals
- Describe the roles water and air play in the lives of invertebrates.
- Compare invertebrate classification systems and their evolutions.
- Describe the general characteristics of the protozoa, sponges, and placozoans.
The Cnidarians, Ctenophores, and Molluscs
- Explain the features of a hydrostatic skeleton.
- Differentiate between cnidarians and ctenophores.
- Compare classes of Molluscks.
- Compare and contrast platyhelminths and mesozoans.
- Describe the characteristics of parasitic and nonparasitic organisms.
- Explain how beneficial nematodes affect the environment.
- Categorize arthropods by their common characteristics.
- Describe the characteristics of some of the unusual phylum.
Lophophorates and Deuterostomes
- Differentiate between hemichordates and non-vertebrate chordates.
- Compare Lophophorates and Echinoderm.
- Describe general characteristics of Xeno
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
- BIO/101 – Principles of Biology OR
- a minimum of 3 college credits of Biology
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-354-1800.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. More information about eligibility requirements, policies, and procedures can be found in the catalog.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.