This course prepares participants to incorporate critical thinking strategies in the classroom. Opportunities are provided to implement critical thinking skills into the curriculum and learning environment. Participants determine instructional and assessment strategies for thinking critically across disciplines.
Topics and Objectives
Foundations and Development of Critical Thinking and Understanding
- Define critical thinking.
- Identify components of the critical thinking process.
- Analyze the value of critical thinking in the classroom.
- Examine the principles of teaching for understanding as related to critical thinking.
- Apply the principles of teaching for understanding.
- Identify ways that critical thinking skills can be used to engage and motivate students in a culturally responsive environment.
- Identify critical thinking strategies for diverse learners.
Strategies for Teaching Critical Thinking
- Determine the need for inquiry-based learning.
- Identify ways to include inquiry-based learning in the classroom.
- Identify critical thinking strategies that can be used in the classroom.
- Evaluate collaborative strategies that support critical thinking.
- Develop lessons that incorporate inquiry and critical thinking skills.
Critical Thinking in the Content Areas
- Incorporate critical thinking strategies in the content areas.
- Justify the use of critical thinking in the content areas.
- Explain how critical readers interact with text.
- Analyze how integrated instruction develops critical thinking skills.
- Integrate critical thinking skills into the curriculum and learning environment.
Critical Thinking and Assessment
- Identify tools for assessing critical thinking.
- Evaluate strategies for assessing critical thinking.
- Develop an assessment tool for assessing critical thinking skills.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
Although our continuing teacher education courses are accepted by some state agencies in the United States toward teacher certifications and endorsements, this may not be the case in all states or foreign jurisdictions. If you plan to use courses for certification or endorsement, please check with your own state agency and your school district for applicability. Continuing teacher education courses are not eligible to apply to degree programs at University of Phoenix. These courses are not eligible for federal financial aid.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with an Enrollment Representative.
If you have a question contact us at 866-354-1800.