This course extends practice in critical reading, writing, and thinking. Emphasis is given to developing an effective writing process that takes into account audience and rhetorical purpose.
This undergraduate course is 5 weeks.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
Topics and Objectives
The Beginning of the Writing Process and Introduction to Arguments
- Determine an appropriate topic and position for an argument paper.
- Explain the elements of a topic that make it appropriate for an argument paper.
- Identify the main components of an argument.
Finding, Evaluating, and Organizing Your Research to Form an Argument
- Justify the use of an information source in a written work, based on timeliness, relevance, and credibility of the author and publication.
- Develop an effective thesis statement and topic sentences based on research.
- Apply an effective strategy for organizing research.
Drafting Your Paper
- Integrate research to support a clearly written argument.
- Demonstrate the use of academic style in a written work.
Formatting Your Paper and Documenting Research
- Apply APA conventions for formatting a written work.
- Demonstrate appropriate use and formatting of in-text citations and reference page citations in a written work.
Finalizing Your Paper
- Construct a clear argument supported by research.
- Demonstrate college-level academic writing abilities.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. More information about eligibility requirements, policies, and procedures can be found in the catalog.Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.