This course will survey major authors, ideologies, and historical contexts of English literature from the 19th century to the present. A diverse range of works, genres, movements, and cultural narratives will be explored.
This undergraduate course is 5 weeks.
This course has a prerequisite. Please see details in the Prerequisite section below.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy, Tuition Refund Policy and all University Policies in the Catalog for more information.
The Romantic Period
- Identify the major authors, works, and literary movements of the Romantic period.
- Analyze how Romantic literature reflects the political, social, cultural, and philosophical changes of the period.
- Identify the major poets, poems, and literary movements of the Victorian period.
- Analyze how Victorian poetry reflects the political, social, cultural, and philosophical changes of the period.
- Identify the major authors, works, and literary movements of the Victorian period.
- Analyze how Victorian prose reflects the political, social, cultural, and philosophical changes of the period.
The 20th Century I: Modernism
- Identify the major authors, works, and literary movements of the Modernist period.
- Analyze how Modernist literature reflects the political, social, cultural, and philosophical changes of the period.
The 20th Century II: Postwar and Postmodern Literature
- Identify the major authors, works, and literary movements of the postmodern period.
- Analyze how postwar and postmodern literature reflect the political, social, cultural, and philosophical changes of the period.
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
- ENG/100 – Critical Reading and Composition OR
- a minimum of 3 college credits of College Composition
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-354.1800.
This course requires the student to purchase the following materials:
Norton Anthology of English literature. (9th ed., Vol. 2), ISBN: 9780393912487
Click here to purchase from the university bookstore.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. More information about eligibility requirements, policies, and procedures can be found in the catalog.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.