This course provides an overview of the basic concepts of human and ecological risk assessment. Students evaluate various components of risk assessment, including human health, environmental, occupational, ecological, and risk management. Significant case studies are used to illustrate the assessment process.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
- Summarize the historical development of the human and ecological risk assessment process.
- Describe the ecological risk assessment framework.
- Describe the four steps of environmental risk assessment.
- Evaluate the application of environmental risk analysis.
- Examine the application of risk assessment in occupational environments.
- Differentiate the application of risk assessment in occupational and non-occupational environments.
- Evaluate the ecological and societal value of natural ecosystems.
- Analyze the use of probabilistic assessment methods in predicting ecological risks for environmental contaminants.
- Analyze long-term costs and benefits to make decisions based on the economic and social effects of environmental issues.
- Devise appropriate courses of action based on environmental risk assessments.
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
- ENV/100 – Principles of Environmental Science or equivalent
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-354-1800.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with an Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.
If you have a question contact us at 866-345-1800.