This course analyzes several topics concerning financial control. Students will explore, design, and use the cost management systems, financial performance measures for enhancing firm value, managerial incentive contracts and accounting data, and management accounting. Other topics include managing earnings and financial ratios, and use of balanced scorecard to evaluate financial/nonfinancial managerial performance.
This graduate course is 6 weeks.
This course has a prerequisite. Please see details in the Prerequisite section below.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of the controller for the financial function.
- Describe the controller's role in financial communications with stakeholders.
- Summarize the role of a CFO.
- Determine the financial performance of an organization.
- Differentiate between the different types of operational accounting.
- Integrate financial performance measurements.
- Determine the role of internal controls on corporate performance.
- Use the Fast Close.
- Measure organizational performance.
- Manage decisions based on metrics.
- Determine strategies and policies to establish ethical practices through internal control systems.
- Summarize the role of the hiring process in operational efficiency.
- Reflect on the importance of supervising employees.
- Determine strategies to sustain investor relations.
- Develop strategies for tax planning.
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
FIN/370 – Finance for Business or equivalent
This graduate level course requires proof of completion of a Bachelor's degree. Be prepared to provide documentation during the checkout process.
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-345-1800.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with an Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.
If you have a question contact us at 866-345-1800.