This course is designed to provide students with an orientation to the field and assist students in planning for a career in psychology. Emphasis will be placed on exploring the different branches of psychology, to identify key resources for exploring careers in psychology and to classify skills and experiences relevant to achieving career goals.
This undergraduate course is 5 weeks.
This course has a prerequisite. Please see details in the Prerequisite section below.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
- Describe psychology as a science.
- Identify the major branches of psychology.
- Explain possible benefits of a psychology degree.
- Contrast various levels of training within the psychology field.
- Identify careers in psychology.
- Identify skills needed for specific jobs in psychology.
- Describe personal career goals.
- Identify methods for gaining experience in the field.
- Describe strategies for setting reasonable expectations.
- Identify benefits of attaining a graduate degree.
- Describe strategies for getting into graduate school.
- Demonstrate readiness for job interviews.
- Explain the process of choosing a job.
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
- PSY/203 – Foundations of Psychology or equivalent
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-354-1800.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with an Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.
If you have a question contact us at 866-345-1800.