How much control do we have over our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors? What does it mean to be ¿free¿? This course offers the student a contemporary and relevant approach to the study of psychology and, in the process, the opportunity to learn more about themselves. In the course, students will evaluate, understand, and build on their psychological strengths and those of others.
This undergraduate course is 5 weeks.
This course has a prerequisite. Please see details in the Prerequisite section below.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
- Explain the difference between positive psychology and traditional psychology.
- Contrast views of happiness and their relationship to subjective wellbeing.
- Discuss the psychological effect of positive emotions.
- Explain the construct of resilience and its role in protecting wellbeing.
- Discuss factors that influence subjective wellbeing.
- Explain the effect of culture on subjective wellbeing.
- Identify common strategies used in positive psychology.
- Apply positive psychology principles to change behavior.
- Describe how positive psychology concepts apply to relationships.
- Apply the positive psychology concept of post-traumatic growth to building resilience.
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
- PSY/203 – Foundations of Psychology or equivalent
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-354-1800.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with an Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.
If you have a question contact us at 866-345-1800.