This is an introductory course in applied statistics, with particular emphasis in psychology. Both descriptive and inferential statistics are included. In addition, this course provides the basic statistical background and understanding needed.
This undergraduate course is 5 weeks.
This course has a prerequisite. Please see details in the Prerequisite section below.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
Research Methods in Psychology
- Describe the differences between descriptive and inferential statistics and their use in the social sciences.
- Identify different levels of measurement.
- Interpret results of a frequency table.
- Present descriptive statistical data using graphic and tabular techniques.
Central Tendency and Probability
- Interpret measures of central tendency, variance, and standard deviation.
- Apply properties of the standard normal distribution.
- Describe different methods of sampling.
- Convert raw scores to Z scores.
- Compute a simple probability.
Hypothesis Testing and Statistical Significance
- Apply strategies for hypothesis testing.
- Determine when to use one- or two-tailed Z test.
One- and Two-Sample t Tests
- Interpret the results of a one- and two-sample t test.
- Interpret the results of an independent sample t test.
- Identify the direction and strength of a linear relationship between two variables.
- Interpret the correlation coefficient.
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
- MTH/219 - Introduction to College Algebra or equivalent
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-354-1800.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.
If you have a question please contact us at 866-354-1800.