This course surveys the field of personality from a scientific perspective, examining the general approaches to understanding personality. The key theorists and concepts associated with each perspective are highlighted, along with the strengths and limitations of the different approaches.
This undergraduate course is 5 weeks.
This course has a prerequisite. Please see details in the Prerequisite section below.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
Topics and Objectives
Foundations of Personality and Psychoanalysis
- Identify the elements of a useful personality theory.
- Identify the components of Freud’s psychoanalytic theory.
- Describe the strengths and limitations of Freud’s psychoanalytic theory.
- Apply psychodynamic personality theories to human behavior.
- Determine the strengths and limitations of psychodynamic theories.
Humanistic and Existential Theories
- Identify components of humanistic and existential personality theories.
- Apply humanistic personality theories to your life.
Dispositional and Biological Theories
- Apply the main concepts of dispositional, trait, and biologically-based personality theories.
- Justify a theoretical approach to assessing personality.
- Apply social cognitive theory and cognitive social learning theory to social issues that arise from technology-related human interactions.
- Analyze how social cognitive theory and cognitive social learning personality theories explain online social engagement and learning.
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
PSY/203 - Foundations of Psychology or equivalent
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-354-1800.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with an Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.
If you have a question contact us at 866-354-1800.