This course examines the traditions and recent developments within the field of alternative medicine and includes a comparison of Western and Eastern diagnostic systems. Through a highly interactive and experiential format, participants will overview a comprehensive range of physical, psychological, and energy therapies resulting in insight, awareness, and appreciation for diverse approaches to medicine.
This undergraduate course is 2 weeks.
Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
Complementary Health Care Practices
- Examine the philosophies of conventional and whole healing systems.
- Examine the history of non-conventional health care practices or approaches.
- Describe how the mind/body works and communicates.
- Differentiate between health care practices.
- Compare and contrast current regulation for conventional medicine and non-conventional health care practices.
Consumer and Regulatory Issues of Health Care Practices
- Create criteria for judging the credibility of information on a health care practice or therapy.
- Describe how an individual’s attitude and belief about CAM could hinder objective assessments of reliability and credibility in CAM.
- Explain the difference between credentialing and licensure.
- Examine therapeutic uses of dietary supplements and herbs.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. More information about eligibility requirements, policies, and procedures can be found in the catalog.Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.